Vets First Choice (VFC) is the nation's largest veterinary-partner pharmacy, providing vets and their clients with cost effective home delivery service of medications and food.
VFC is licensed in all 50 states with the highest quality accreditation possible - ensuring the safest products for our pet customers and their loving owners. In 2013, Vets First Choice was named #24 on the Inc 500 Fastest Growing Companies list. And, we are still growing!!
To fuel that growth even further, we are building an exceptional team of people to provide world class customer service to our pet owner customers and partner practices.
That's where you come in...
The Systems Engineer position is responsible for assisting with the company wide implementation, maintenance, configuration, patching, securing and administration of the applications, servers and peripheral devices. Working within a 24/7 production environment, helps maintain the hosted web-based software products and other technology that is required. Helps supports application deployments. Helps maintaining corporate infrastructure.. Under general supervision, the position supports network and system configuration; server virtualization; performance optimization including load balancing and capacity management; system troubleshooting and diagnostics; and system performance and security monitoring.
- Work with development teams building applications to run on the supported infrastructure and configure automation for the deployment process.
- Contribute to and maintain system standards. Identify approaches that leverage our resources and provide economies of scale.
- Install new/rebuild existing infrastructure and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc., in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements.
- Perform periodic performance reporting to support capacity planning. Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required.
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science and/or related years of experience
- 2-4 years experience working on Linux and Windows operating systems
- 2-4 years supporting developers, administering apps, etc.
- Experience working in hosted environments like AWS, Azure, Google App Engine
COMPETENCIES (Skills and Abilities)
- Understanding of the Linux and Windows operating system
- Familiarity with Networking Technologies such as routing, switching and load balancing and networking knowledge
- Experience and/or knowledge of working in a 24/7 production environment
- Knowledge with systems and network performance and availability monitoring and analysis.
- Knowledge working with virtualization technologies.
- Familiarity with scripting languages: bash, python
- General knowledge of database concepts.
- Exposure to security concepts
- Ability to troubleshoot moderate problems
- Excellent communication, prioritization, and analytical skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and agile development environment
- Initiative with the ability to see opportunities for improvement; take ownership and closely work with the development team to drive product improvement
Normal office environment with extensive use of computer.